Minerals and metal supply chains have a central role to play in the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): they provide key materials for many production processes and industries of the future, generate revenues, trade, and employment globally. Their criticality has been reaffirmed by the Energy Transition, since they are essential to build the technologies needed to shift to a net-zero economy.
As the demand for minerals and metals grows at unprecedented levels, their supply chains face significant demands and regulatory requirements regarding sustainability across environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues. Next to tightening legislations, investors, consumers and civil society expect companies to avert, mitigate and remedy adverse ESG impacts, and to report on their performance.
To support the efforts of companies to manage ESG risks and impacts, RMI has developed a tailored portfolio of resources that applies across mineral and metal supply chains.
RMI’s approach is based on the United Nation Guiding Principles (UNGP), and on the OECD Guidelines on Responsible Business Conduct and on Responsible Mineral Sourcing. They establish the responsibility for businesses to respect human rights and the environment, prevent and mitigate adverse impacts and provide or collaborate to remedy, if a business causes, contributes or is linked to adverse impacts. In line with the UNGP and the OECD, RMI supports companies to:
We enable RMI members, auditees and industry stakeholders to collaboratively assess and drive improvements on the ESG performance of their operations and supply chains. The RMI Toolkit includes:
Prevention and Mitigation
What You Can Do
- Map your supply chain and identify salient ESG risks
- Complete a Risk Readiness Assessment (RRA) for your company
- If your company has processing, smelting, refining operations, undergo RMI ESG standard audit
- If your company operations are downstream, consider RBA’s VAP audit
- Verify if your suppliers monitor and report on their ESG performance through RBA-Online
- Contact your suppliers and encourage them to complete a Risk Readiness Assessment and RMI ESG standard audit
- Use your leverage to drive mitigation, remediation and continuous improvement of adverse impacts
Learn more about the actions you can take to source responsibly:
Join the RMI and engage with peers, industry organizations and stakeholders to develop, share and utilize tools and resources for responsible minerals sourcing.